Post-Graduate Legal Fellowship
Post-Graduate Legal Fellowship:
Ayuda’s DC and Virginia offices host bilingual post-graduate legal fellows to work with our legal services program. Ayuda encourages applicants for post-graduate fellowship funding to submit applications to Ayuda to act as their host organization. Start and end dates are flexible. Candidates must commit to working a minimum of three months. Ideal candidates will commit to working six months to a year.
Former fellowship proposals have ranged from particular areas of practice to general projects that involve assisting our legal team with the full range of our immigration practice. Ayuda has multiple areas of expertise and need. These include, but are not limited to, representing vulnerable youth, representing LGBTQ clients, representing survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, and representing survivors of human trafficking.
How to Apply
Please submit applications via email to Josh Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org (for the DC office) or Madeline Taylor Diaz (VA) at email@example.com (for the Virginia office). Applications must include a resume, three references, and a detailed cover letter describing how you would contribute to Ayuda’s work. Please specify your desired start and end dates. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Applicants must be bilingual (speaking, oral comprehension, reading and writing).
- Admission or pending admission to a state bar is required.
- Admission or pending admission to DC or Maryland bar is strongly preferred (for DC office fellowship).
- Admission or pending admission to Virginia bar is strongly preferred (for VA office fellowship).
- Previous relevant legal experience is preferred but not required.
- Previous experience working with immigrant communities or with victims of violence is highly desired.
Examples of Post-Graduate Funding Received by Current and Former Ayuda Fellows
- Equal Justice Works Fellowship
- Skadden Fellowship
- American University Washington College of Law JD Distinguished Fellowship
- Yale Law School Arthur Liman Public Interest Fellowship
- Michigan Law Bridge Fellowship
- University of Miami School of Law Legal Corps Fellowship
Current Fellowship Opportunities