Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services; education; and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services to immigrants and acquired nationally-recognized expertise in immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC and Falls Church, VA. This position is for our Washington, DC office.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants overcome obstacles to succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
- As Staff Attorney you will represent survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking in civil protection orders and family law cases, including child custody, child support, and divorce, in DC;
- Provide legal advice and counsel on domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking-related matters, including civil protection orders, family law matters, crime victim rights advocacy and related immigration matters;
- Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
- Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing new laws and regulations;
- Train area service providers and government agencies, including law enforcement;
- Conduct outreach presentations to potential clients and partner agencies;
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services;
- Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
- J.D. or LL.M. from accredited law school;
- Must be in good standing with the bar of DC or able to waive into DC bar; will consider 2018 law grads awaiting DC bar results;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish;
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of issues involved in working with diverse populations and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking or other trauma;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team; and
- Prior experience in the relevant practice areas or in working with relevant populations will be weighed favorably.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays and closures observed and paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Ayuda is an eligible employer for the purposes of the DC Bar Pro Bono Program’s Loan Repayment Assistance Program.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. It is Ayuda’s policy to be fair and impartial in all relations with employees and applicants for employment and to make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, gender identity or expression, disability, sexual orientation, or any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.
Ayuda’s dedication to social justice means that all positions will be committed to working with people from diverse cultural, linguistic, economic, educational, and vocational backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit www.jsco.re.